News & Events
Half day workshop: South Africa's latest crime figures - what do they mean to you?
Two years ago, the release of South Africa’s annual crime statistics were met with media reports such as “The latest crime statistics are a stark reminder of how far South Africa still has to go to reduce violence and crime” – in this presentation and interactive workshop, we will explore the current statistics released last month and consider the implications for the private security industry.
Friday 28 October 2016
Time: 12h00 lunch for 12h30 workshop (ending 15h00)
Venue: Fire Prevention Association of South Africa
105 Springbok Road, Bartlett, Boksburg (GPS Co-ordinates -26.166419,28.2415853)
Presenter: Lizette Lancaster (Institute for Security Studies)
Cost: R250 (members) R350 (Non-members) - includes buffet lunch and refreshments
A must for all safety and security managers, risk managers, facilities managers, security service providers and others with accountability and liability for these issues
This lunch, presentation workshop seminar is another SAIS continual professional development event focused upon the latest trends and conversations in security and risk management for security professionals, risk managers and decision makers within the safety and security environment.
Lizette Lancaster manages and has overseen the creation of the South African Crime and Justice Information and Analysis Hub of the Institute for Security Studies’ Governance, Crime and Justice Division. Her focus is the collection, analysis and dissemination of data and information to promote evidence-based crime- and violence-reduction policies and strategies.
Previously, she was the Head of Research at Development Research Africa, a national socio-economic research organisation. She managed several large-scale research projects, including perception and victimisation surveys, service delivery assessments and policy impact evaluations. She has worked with all security cluster departments including the South African Police Service and National Prosecution
To book, please email Dave Dodge email@example.com BEFORE 1pm on Wednesday 26th Oct 2016. An invoice will be sent on booking together with bank details for EFT payment which must be made prior to the event. For more information, please email Dave or ring him on 078 633 9001.
Security Management Training in Johannesburg
Leading international providers of security management training, ARC Training works with security professionals from all over the world, providing fully-accredited qualifications in subjects that are current, interesting and internationally relevant.
SAIS is proud to be now associating with ARC to offer their accredited qualification training locally and the SAIS Endorsement Committee, chaired by Prof. Kris Pillay, UNISA is currently considering applications for the courses below to be endorsed by SAIS for the purposes of Continued Professional Development.
ARC have been supportive of the Institute for many years and would now like to further support us by offering SAIS members a 20% discount from the standard cost of both the Security Management Stage 3 course, and the Security Coordination and Management programme. Full details of these courses can be found below and further information on all of their courses can be found on the ARC website: www.arc-tc.com.
SAIS member discounts:
These costs include taxes and lunch.
In order for these discounts to be applied please download and complete the booking form and email directly to Sarah Hayward firstname.lastname@example.org . Please use the reference: SAIS1116. Sarah will then invoice you accordingly.
AfriSecure Conference and Exhibition
The much anticipated AfriSecure Confex hits Joburg in less than one month.
We are just shy of one month out from one of the most educational events in the risk and security industry in Southern Africa. Hosted at Vodacom World in Johannesburg on the 11th and 12th October 2016, the AfriSecure Confex looks to take the industry by storm by bringing together some of the top minds in ERM and security at the moment. The event sets itself aside from others in the industry by offering attendees the chance of hearing keynotes, engaging in panel discussions and learning from technical demonstrations.
With a key focus on the four tracks, the event looks to cover the broad spectrum that Heads of Risk and Security face in this day and age. The four tracks break down the two days and within each, presenters will cover keynotes, panel discussions and masterclasses. The four tracks are: Enterprise Risk Management, Corporate Security, Fraud and Theft Management and IT Security.
Security tops the priority list of all organisations with Southern Africa as well as the rest of the world. With the constant evolution of technology, processes and systems in the digital age, organisations are at constant risk of security threats to their organisation. As threats become more sophisticated, the devastation on the organisation is increased.
With a background covering information security, disaster recovery planning, due diligence, criminal investigations, fraud prevention, property protection and security systems engineering, the event will meet the needs of all organisations within South Africa as well as the rest of Africa. It will include a specific focus on conference as well as expo and therefore set itself apart from any other event within the region. The key aspects of the event shall guide organisations in helping the company mitigate risks, as well as meet compliance needs and ultimately controlling overall operational business costs.
With a unique focus, the event shall have a solid focus on providing organisations with security should they be working in areas across the border, from physical human protection, to risk assessment, this VIP service shall play a large role in the events unique perspective.
The Advisory Panel, who has been specifically chosen to assist in the development of the agenda and streamlining of the topics is made up of eight well respected individuals in the Risk and Security industry. The Advisory Panel is made up of:
- Vernon Fryer, Chief Technology Security Officer, Vodacom
- Ian Keller, Chief Information Security Officer, Discovery Limited
- Alkesh Patel, Director, Forethought Advisory
- Hester Hickey Director and Audit Committee Chairman, Omnia
- Anne-Lize De Beer, Head of Enterprise Risk and Compliance, Santam
- Dr. Len Konar, Chairman of Exxaro Resources Limited
- Sathie Gounden, Director & Audit Committee member, IoDSA
- Riaan Kruger, Head of Security, Nedbank
Top Speakers to look forward to include Anton Conradie, Group Physical Security Head Conformance and Systems Control at Standard Bank Group who will be discussing the protection of your most valuable assets: A look into securing your organization. The renowned Steven Powell, Forensic Director of ENS will be delving into the mind of the criminal. Covering the topic Using Continuous Monitoring and Auditing to Move Toward a Fraud Prevention Mindset is Lynne Tromp, Group Forensic Manager, Risk and Compliance of PetroSA.
Sponsoring the event are a number of partners who specialize in all solutions around risk, security and IT protection. We are very glad to welcome:
- DarkTrace - Named ‘Technology Pioneer’ by the World Economic Forum, Darktrace is one of the world’s leading cyber threat defense companies. Its Enterprise Immune System technology detects and responds to previously unidentified threats, powered by machine learning and mathematics developed by specialists from the University of Cambridge
- Secur provides risk management services and solutions, including technical consulting to organisations in South Africa. Our service offerings are designed to strengthen an organisation security and compliance posture in cyber space
- SAP helps organisations fight the damaging effects of complexity, generate new opportunities for innovation and growth, and stay ahead of the competition.
- Check Point Software Technologies Ltd., the largest pure-play security vendor globally, provides industry-leading solutions, and protects customers from cyberattacks with an unmatched catch rate of malware and other types of attacks.
- DataLocker products secure sensitive data using military-grade 256-bit encryption. With a wide range of products, DataLocker offers both hardware based external storage and software based cloud storage encryption options.
- UnaOS is a heavily modified, hardened and secured version of Android. It works on two levels: privacy (no more data mining, no more data leaks) and security (preventing attacks and hacking).
- Morphisec shifts the security paradigm with proactive, early prevention that uses the hackers’ tactics to beat them at their own game
- TopSpin empowers your security professionals to go on the offensive against APTs and other sophisticated network threats.
- Mimecast makes business email and data safer for more than 16,200 customers and millions of employees worldwide.
- ZKTeco is a leading global developer of security and time management solutions
- Cochrane Physical Perimeter Security Defence. With a reputation for innovation and quality spanning nearly three decades, Cochrane International continues to pioneer with segment leading Physical Perimeter Security Barriers that deliver effective security to protect most assets.
For more information on the AfriSecure Confex 2016 please contact:
email@example.com +27 (0) 21 180 4700 or visit www.afri-secure.com
Kinetic is an international conference and exhibition company established as a key strategic information provider to the IT and Telecoms sector. Our mission is to equip senior management executives with knowledge, market intelligence and viable commercial opportunities.
Click here to download the agenda.
Click here to download the delegate info pack.
SAIS Charity Golf Day - 6 May 2016
The South African Institute of Security (SAIS) held its Annual Charity Golf Day on Friday 6th May 2016 at the impressive and challenging Gary Player designed Blue Valley Golf Club in Midrand. The event was fully subscribed with a field of 120 golfers ranging from top professionals to equally enthusiastic part-timers.
The beneficiary of the day was the Children of Fire charity which helps young survivors of burn injuries (whether by fire, chemicals, electricity or hot liquids) in Africa and to help and educate the communities in which they live, providing both prevention and cure. This is the third year that the SAIS event has supported this charity and some of the children were able to attend the evening prize-giving dinner to meet, and thank, the golfers and sponsors for their participation and generous donations.
SAIS Chairman Dave Dodge presented the prizes to the winning team of Aeonova consisting of Ettienne Knipe, Chris Christie, Sasha Ash and Archie Cassim, and addressed the dinner, together with fire survivor 19 year old Loide Ndemueda . Dave praised event organiser, and former SAIS chairman, Reggie Marimuthu, the various sponsors and the Blue Valley Golf Club for once again making the day such a huge success in support of a charity which he described as “providing essential support for some of the most vulnerable children in Southern Africa, which SAIS has been proud to associated with for the past three years”.
Further information regarding the Children of Fire charity are available at www.childrenoffire.org
Click here to see the photos from the day.